Thursday 12 June 2014

Science Fiction Writers of the United Kingdom

It's a lonely life being a science fiction writer in England.  A writer's life is generally solitary, but as an SF writer I feel even more isolated.

I have lots of writer friends, and I go to lots of writing conferences, workshops, and networking events. But the trouble is, very few of the writers I meet at these events are SF writers.

There are some gatherings where I know I'm not going to get any useful feedback on my work.  I know that I'm surrounded by romance writers who'd never stretch their fluffy little brains to get them around the concept of AI, or genetic design.  They have no understanding of what I write, and I have no understanding of their domestic tales either.

What I need is a Science Fiction Writers of the United Kingdom, an equivalent of the US organisation.  I need somewhere to get together with kindred spirits and discuss SF writing.  It would be lovely to have someone critique my work who understood what I was trying to do. And I don't write overy-complex tech-heavy books, or about strange worlds that are not understandable.  I'm a straightforward storyteller, and I have a straightforward view of the universe.  Yes, there's a little bit of rocket science in my books, but not a lot.  I'm not a scientist, and what I know comes from popular science research.

But even so I get women who say they don't understand what I mean when I read it to them.   The vast majority of women frustrate me because of their unwillingness to think outside the cosy domestic box. And many of them seem to have no wider awareness of the world, or the universe.

I need somewhere where I can meet with other women SF writers, talk about our work, and get real feedback on what I'm doing.  So, is anyone up for forming the Science Fiction Writers of the United Kingdom?


No comments:

Post a Comment