Friday 25 July 2014

My fictional role models

One of the reasons readers get into SF Is because it allows us to dream of futures we'll never have.  It allows us to travel the universe, make the next big breakthrough scientific discovery, and discover the pleasures of exotic worlds.  But for me one of the biggest reasons why I go back to my favourite books is because they provide strong fictional role models I can identify with.  These women inspire me on my down days.

If I need to be reminded how tough women can be when thrown into unexpected and dangerous situations I need look no further than C. J. Cherryh's Pyanfar Chanur.  A wily old tradeship captain, she  gets more challenges than she bargained for when she decides not to hand over a stowaway on her ship to the murderous Kif.  In the world of the Hani it is the women who pilot starships while the men stay at home and fight each other.  I've always loved that role reversal.

Then there's Kylara Vatta, who single-handedly forms the Space Defence Force and bests a fleet of pirates three times the size of her own.  And in Anne McCaffrey's world of Pern, harper Menolly shows what you can achieve when you're determined not to let men's prejudices stop you from having your dream career.  And in most of my favoure books, the characters pass the Bechdel test too,

These favourite books have greatly influenced my own writing and the way I dream on the page.  I like to think that what I write can change the world, through the influence of my story on each individual reader.  

And if part of my influence is to show women that they can be as successful as Admiral Vida Serrano or Pyanfar Chanur I'll have provided some great inspiration and role models for women,

I see it as changing the world by stealth, one fictional role model at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment