Thursday 28 January 2016

The future doesn't have enough rebels and whistleblowers

Having spent time recently reading some books about dystopian totalitarian states, I'm left with one burning question.  Where are the rebels and whistleblowers?

The books I read have created what I'd describe as a perfect evil state.  It's faceless.  Nobody even knows who wields all this power.  It's all powerful.  Nobody can challenge it,  citizen democracy has disappeared completely.  It never has its actions exposed, and it has no cracks in its armour.

And I have real difficulty in believing in that kind of world.  We're writing about humans, and humans are a troublesome lot.  We don't ever all see the world the same way.  And I can't see that trait changing in the future.  Yes, charismatic leaders do arise who sweep people along with them for a while. Perhaps initially they have a grand vision for the future, one many people buy into. But when the oppression of others begins those supporters start to get uneasy, and start to question things.

I want to know where the resistance to these totalitarian states is.  Those people will likely be hidden, and in great danger, but that didn't stop the French Resistance.  And it won't stop similar organisations operating in the future.

My objection to some of these dystopian tales is that the evil is seamless.  There don't seem to be any cracks in the edifice.  Those with power all seem to think the same way.  But short of being brainwashed or programmed in some way, there will always be dissenters, people who question the 'experimental' programmes and want them stopped.  And in the age of the internet I can't see them being kept quiet.  People will leak things onto the 'nets.  

For a dystopian story to work for me, I need to see more of these fracture lines appearing.  Not only must the 'evil' leaders be working hard to keep people oppressed, but they must also be working hard to quell dissent and leaks.

I need more rebels and whistleblowers in these worlds.  More people to question and challenge what's  going on, and to challenge the morals of such leaders.  Without that, the stories are ultimately shallow, cardboard cut-out set pieces that leave me feeling dissatisfied.  And wondering why I invested so much time in reading them.  Bring back the rebels and whistleblowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment