Thursday 17 March 2016

Short story competitions - falling between the cracks

As a science fiction writer, short story competitions have always been problematical for me.  If I enter  an SF competition, then the judges are looking for something 'radical', something that 'pushes the boundaries of the genre'.  They're looking for weird tech, or aliens.  But if you look at the winning stories you'll often find that marriage still exists in those worlds, and men still control women.  Hmm.  A strange kind of 'radical'

Now the thing is, the kind of 'radical' I write is rather different, and a good deal quieter than the those stories.  For a start, it's usually near-future, a hundred or two hundred years ahead, and human societies are not radically removed from today's.  

My 'radical' stories challenge current culture.  They imagine a society where people have grown beyond the use of recreational sex to bolster their self-esteem.  But that isn't a kind of 'radical' that competition judges want to see.  Neither, it seems, are stories where women have been totally freed from the burden of childbearing.  SF might speculate about the future, but this, it seems, is a step too far.

So perhaps I should try a general writing competition.  I've considered submitting short stories to two recently.  And I started by researching the judges.  Both were female, but that's not necessarily a good thing for me.  I discovered that one of them was an ex-editor of a romance imprint.nn I can't imagine such a judge, steeped in the world of cozy, unrealistic, romance, looking kindly at a story which contains zero romance.  In fact, it might even outlaw romance in that world.

So that was one competition ruled out.  What about the other one?  That judge was an author of contemporary women's books.  Books about relationships and cozy families.  So I can't see an  SF story which challenges the basis of her world doing well in that competition either.

This kind of falling between the cracks is common for me, and so damned annoying.  What I'm looking for are competitions that appreciate a conventionally-written story with a beginning, middle and end, a story that challenges the conventions of current western socieities.  And so far, I haven't found the entrance to that magic world between the cracks where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment