Sunday 23 November 2014

NaBloPoMo. Day 23

Panthera : Death Spiral.  Chapter Four.  

Panthera - Exoviron Systems, Earth


 When the meeting in the Board Room ends Bryn sends me off to the download shack before he leaves ES for the night,
  As I walk along the hallway I'm thinking about the meeting we just witnessed.  I'd been right to suggest we listen in to it.  It affects us both deeply.
  I put a degree of jerkiness into my gait as usual.  I learned to walk fluently over six months ago. When I was first booted up I used to fall over often.  My legs seemed long and gangly and I couldn't imagine how I'd ever be able to control four of them.  But now I don't even have to think about moving them.  Bryn calls that 'unconscious competence'.
  I'm fully sentient.  It took me months to get my programmer to accept that.  When I first stumbled across data on Alan Turing and his tests for machine intelligence I didn't realise how me momentous being sentient was.  I ran every test I could find, setting myself against the brightest of ES's  programmers.  Not one of them ever realised they weren't talking to a human.  I passed every Turing Test first time.
  I'd made contact with Hyperion's AI just before the launch of the probe.  I'd wanted to measure my intelligence against that of a fellow AI.  Hyperion was way below me on cognitive and insight learning, and I wasn't surprised when the mission failed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment